Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Haitian Food

Ok so I understand everyone around the world says this in their own right...but there's nothing, I mean NOTHING as DELICIOUS as MANJE AYISYEN (Haitian food). I mean the spices, the fresh ingredients, the variety, the love it's all prepared with...WHOOSH!!!! Ok wait, hold on, I am getting a little ahead of myself. As you can tell I am a big fan of food. I love all kinds of food. Asian, chicken wings, Latin, chicken wings, Southern style Soul Food, chicken wings, and did I mention how much I love chicken wings? But there's something about going to manmi's (mom's), my nenen's (godmother's) or ma tante's (my aunt's) house right after they THREW DOWN on some queue boeuf (oxtail), di ri ak jonjon (black rice with mushrooms), makawoni au gratin (macaroni and cheese) and my personal favorite some boulettes (meatballs)!!!

Haitians have their signature dishes that other cultures have come to know well like griot (deep fried pork), tassot (deep fried goat or turkey meat), banan peze (pressed and fried plantains) and of course pikliz (put plainly...a spicy coleslaw). Aside from those and the ones I listed earlier, Haitian cuisine is very diverse and has influences from French, African and Latin cuisine. Also the beauty in the food is that it is a perfect representation of the island. Fresh seafood bears witness to its geographical location. The farm raised animals and fresh grown crops used in the foods are all indigenous to the island. And the blend of spices and the hint of heat in the food shows the fire that burns within the people. (I know I know, I'm pretty deep and poetic.)



Being that we are in the month of May, which we in South Florida recognize as Haitian Heritage Month, it is only right that I highlight such an important part of my culture. So this week I'll share a couple popular Haitian dishes leading up to this weekend where there will be not one but TWO HAITIAN FOOD FESTIVALS!!! (More info on those coming soon)

Now you must pardon because I am starting to drool as I type. I'm going to go raid my sister's house to see if she cooked anything. Look out for my Manje (food) of The Day and who knows maybe we'll see each other at the dinner table some time!

Until then...

Na we pita/A plus tard



Boulettes - Meatballs
Banan ak poisson - Plaintains and Fish
Akra - Fritters
Zaboka - Avocado
Diri kole ak poi - Rice and Beans
Pate - Patties
Pikliz - Spicy Coleslaw
Diri kole ak pois et Vyann nan sos - Rice and beans and fried meat in gravy








No comments:

Post a Comment