Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Here comes the bride...

So my older sister is getting married this weekend. I am super happy for her and very proud. She found a man who puts her first and prioritizes her happiness...Although I don't think I have ever seen her this stressed. My sister usually has it all together but if you bring up anything regarding her wedding party, flowers or guests...well to put it nicely you just  may get your head bitten off.

Is there a word for Bridezilla in Kreyol (Creole)? I'm just kidding. For a bride to be, she is pretty reasonable...at times, but its the other 23 hours of the day that has us all going nuts. In typical Haitian woman fashion everything is over the top and spells the end of the world. "UMWAY!!! Guys the caterer didn't call me back today. He must've packed up and escaped with all the money!!!" "WHOOSH!!! My hairdresser rescheduled my appointment. If I have to go to someone else they will mess up my hair. And if my hair looks bad for the wedding he's going to leave me and the wedding will be off!!!!" Her exact words, no, but definitely not an exaggeration. The one fun part of the wedding preparations is trying to see if my sister's innate Haitian-ness will creep up out of her.

Now if you've ever been to any REAL Ayitien (Haitian) weddings you know four elements are always present.



1. Employing everyone but a professional to plan your wedding. From every Soeur Entil (Sister Whomever) from legliz (church) preparing a plato (platter) of food to having every family member decorating the church right up until the wedding is about to start.

2. Having a ceremony last like 14 hours!!! First off the wedding party has 140 people in it! Every friend you've ever had and every not so dezod (misbehaving) kid you can find must walk for fear of upsetting someone. Now let's not forget about the not so mini church service. I'm a believer of having The Lord bless your union but there's no reason for us to sing about five Hymnes et Louanges (Hymnals) and recite all of Psalms 119. Oh and the Coup de Gras, Ma Tante (Auntie) So and So insisting on expressing her love for her niece or nephew through a 20 minute long song (ALLELUIA).

3. My personal favorite, the dance down the aisle. I've literally been a part of about 10 wedding parties and at least 6 of them insisted EVERY couple walking in the procession do the Haitian wedding walk. One step to the side, one step back then one step forward all the way down the aisle!!! If that weren't bad enough most of the time the participants didn't get the step right (I on the other hand have a great sense of rhythm and always do great!)

4. Not all Haitian receptions turn in to a balle (Haitian party/club) but every, and I mean EVERY wedding plays some sweet sweet Kenny G. Nothing keeps your hungry guests at bay like the sweet sounds of Kenny G's sax. There are no words and no crazy drum beats so it's pleasant to even the most conservative non-English speaking gran moun (elder).

All in all I love weddings. They are extremely joyous parties. Two families and sets of friends coming together to celebrate a day dedicated solely to their loved ones. Free food, drinks and a whole lot of Kompa, count me in. Whether or not she goes uber Haitian is yet to be seen but I'll make sure to update you all with pictures. Well there's much preparing left to do, the wedding is this weekend after all. Until then...

Na we pita/A plus tard

No comments:

Post a Comment