Tuesday, February 18, 2014

M pa kab dòmi/I can't sleep

12:09 AM Tuesday morning and m pa kab domi (I can't sleep). I don't know what it is. I'd love to say something profound like, "the troubles of this world are forever on my mind and manifest in my restless nights". Lies. Or maybe, "y'all home in bed sleeping while I'm out here in these streets gettin it..."  Naw, eh eh. Some of you are probably thinking, "well a few minutes past midnight isn't that late anyway so buck up fella", (I don't actually know anyone who'd say buck up fella but it felt right lol). 

Well midnight on a weeknight is pretty late especially when I wake up at 5am for a little cardio session then get ready for my morning show. Wait did I forget to mention I'm a co-host on a morning talk radio show? (The Morning Drive on WSRF 1580am Monday-Friday 9am-10am ANN ALE!!!!) Yes that was a shameless plug and there's more info on that subject coming soon. But the point is I'm already looking at less than five hours of sleep. Now it is true that my rugged good looks come naturally and take little to no effort. In fact one could say I woke up like this...(yes I just did) but for overall good health one must get sufficient rest.



 As I lay in bed staring at the unchanging ceiling some words of wisdom from my father come to mind. "Ou twò jeunes pou bezwen pou dòmi (You are too young to need to sleep)." Aside from knowing the meaning of the words it took me some time, years in fact to grasp the essence of my dad's admonishment. As a young man I had no need for sleep yet or rather no right to sleep or to be tired. There was so much that I could be doing and so much left to be done.  Rest is reserved for the old and the successful. What had I done to deserve rest? Was I successful enough to take a break or feeble enough to need it?


So here I am, 12:35am now thinking of a master plan, staring upwards, looking not at the ceiling, but at my goals and dreams that surpass this roof over my head and reach far beyond the stars. But will I ever achieve them when there's so much sleep for me to catch up on? So I ask you readers, "Èske ou twò jeunes pou ou dòmi? (Are you too young to sleep)"



Na we pita/A plus tard

No comments:

Post a Comment