Thursday, February 13, 2014

A dish best served cold...


Justice as stated by the Merriam Webster online dictionary is defined as, "the process or result of using laws to fairly judge and punish crimes and criminals."


In every day life we come across different legal cases that may seem as if there was no justice served, and Florida is NO stranger to this. The Trayvon Martin case, the Casey Anthony case, and the more recent Ethan Couch case aka the Affluenza teen, all under public scrutiny, came to unfavorable ends according to public opinion.  Some will factor in race and social status, some will say the prosecution was to greedy, others still will claim that the criminal justice system prevailed in all cases and fair and impartial justice was served (...right...). Well Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 8:17pm at the Florida State Prison, to some, justice was served.


In September of 1995, Juan Carlos Chavez kidnapped, raped and murdered 9 year old Jimmy Ryce. According to Mr. Chavez's confession, Jimmy was abducted at gunpoint from his school bus stop, forced into his pickup truck and taken back to his trailer. I will spare the more in-depth details but after four hours at the mercy of his captor, Jimmy attempted to flee but was shot in the back. After witnessing the boy's final breath, Chavez dismembered him, placed him in concrete filled pots and hid the evidence. Three months after the incident, with the help of his then employer, FBI agents caught up with Chavez, were able to get a detailed confession from him along with the whereabouts of Jimmy's body. The FBI's findings led to the 1998 conviction of Chavez for kidnapping, capital sexual battery, and first degree murder. He was sentenced to death.



After a myriad of appeals and petitions lasting up until the hour of his execution, Chavez had no choice but to face justice. But can it really be deemed justice? Execution. Taking a human life in direct result of crimes he/she perpetrated. Many find the practice antiquated, unjust, barbaric even, but the great state of Florida along with 31 other states still use the practice. Me, I'm still on the fence. My heart and condolences go out to the Ryce family and I dare not try and claim to understand how they feel. I am not a parent, but I am a brother, an uncle and a godfather. I am also a Christian. The family man in me would want nothing more than the person who hurt my loved one to cease breathing. The Christian asks where is the chance for redemption? Where is the space for forgiveness? Am I seeking justice or am I letting the State get revenge for me?


In attendance Wednesday night was Jimmy's father Don Ryce and older brother Ted Ryce. In a statement Ted said: "Many people have asked why I decided to come today. I did not come today to celebrate Juan Carlos’s execution. In fact, I did not want to come. So why did I come? I came here to represent my brother Jimmy Ryce. I came here for my sister Martha and my mother, Claudine. I came here today because I believe in the justice that has been served on this day. I am here to support that belief.


"I’m also here today as a symbol of strength to show you that in spite of all the terrible tragedies we’ve been through, my father and I still stand strong and strength is something that is sorely lacking in our country today. Many people did not believe that Juan Carlos Chavez should be put to death for his horrible crime of raping and murdering my brother Jimmy Ryce. I believe this comes from a place of weakness, not strength. It comes from not being able to face the atrociousness of some men’s actions and punish them on a level commensurate with their crime.



"But we must be strong. We must do what it takes to send a clear message to other child predators that if they go after children, if they kill children, that they will die at the executioner’s hands.  Today will bring no closure for my family. As my father has stated, 'Closure does not exist,' but the justice served this day after a painful 19 years will end the chapter on this part of our life and now we look forward to moving on. Thank you." 


I'm not trying to start a debate on the intricacies of The American Criminal Justice System, nor am I trying to advocate retribution over rehabilitation. I simply wanted to inspire a little thought. So what happens next for the Ryce family? Should they feel relieved that Jimmy's killer has finally faced justice? Despite this great tragedy they have been able to do so much good. The case inspired changes in laws across the country (The Jimmy Ryce Act). The family also started The Jimmy Ryce Center for Victims of Predatory Abduction (The Jimmy Ryce Foundation), with the mission to provide law enforcement agencies with bloodhounds and other tools to help in the search of lost and abducted individuals. 


Perhaps justice isn't really found in the punishment of criminals, but it lies in the actions of the masses to prevent further crime and protect not only their loved ones but the lives of their fellow man. I'm just speculating but it's up to you to figure for yourselves. Until then...


Na we pita/A plus tard


No comments:

Post a Comment