Monday, October 12, 2015

ITS CARNIVAL!!!!!!!

Yesterday was the 2015 Miami Broward Carnival. A celebration held in sunny South Florida where all the caribbean islands are represented via Mas Bands, colorful costumes, music and food all in one place.

Last year was my first time attending carnival and I must say I had a blast. The Haitians were out there in full swing representing the bleu et rouge alongside our brothers and sisters from the other islands. Kompa, reggae, soca and reggaeton filled the air as scantily clad men and women gouye and busted a whine in the streets. The parade encircled the South Campus of FIU before entering the carnival grounds for the day's main events. After walking alongside some of the most popular Mas Bands and seeing all the fun the people had masquerading I declared that next year I would not attend as a spectator but as a costume wearing player.





And so this year I joined the Party Room Squad Mas Band!!!!! Fun was an understatement. IT WAS BLAST!!!! An entirely different experience from just attending carnival. Masquerading allows you to be a part of your band's portrayal and to bring life and color to the parade. Twelve hours of parading, drinking and dancing in the streets ending in a competition between and bands and...you guessed it...MORE DANCING!!!!

My favorite part was the lack of any cultural boundaries. Though many represented their respective countries of origin and flags EVERYONE partied alongside each other enjoying the foods and rhythms from all over the caribbean. The bands themselves were great examples of this as flags from all over the West Indies were represented by their members. I myself received a lesson or two in whining from a few lovely ladies from Trinidad and lagayed some serious plogay on some girls from Guyana and St. Kitts.

A great time was had by all and you best believe I will be masquerading again next year!

Until then...

Na We Pita/A Plus Tard












No comments:

Post a Comment