Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Ayiti Cheri




Ayiti Cheri is a poem I wrote in February of 2010 after the devastating 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti on January 12, 2010. Still in shock and hurting for all the lives lost and damage wrought, I wrote this poem to try and express how I felt. Hope you all enjoy.
















Ayiti Cheri by Rhonel

From the day of my birth I loved you
Never knew your warmth or gazed upon your beauty 
But I've always known you loved me too
Before I knew your name you already changed my life
Coveted by many, adored by others, and looked down upon by the rest of the world
Yet full of pride you held your head up high
Willing, wanting, and destined to embrace me as a child long lost
Yet patiently awaiting the day I arrived at your door
Tu sais que je t'aime, avec tous mon coeur, je t’adore
Pas genyen yon lot pays si bèl ou si fo
Songs immortalize your beauty and history sings your praises
Those around you oppress you, yet you endure for ages
The Earth herself torments you 
Yet your children hear your cry 
Civil wars, raging waters, and world shattering quakes
Yet you dry your eyes and rise again for your spirit will never break
The land of my ancestors, home to my parents, and place of my birthright
How I longed for you daily and dreamed of you at night
Yon jour n’ap rankontrer m’ap vini wè ou cheri
Ayiti, riche en culture, un si beau pays
As the phoenix dies amongst the flames and emerges reborn from its ashes
So shall you shine brightly again as a beacon of hope to the masses
Your children love you as do I and we rush to your side
Ayiti Cheri, you are our heart, our soul, our pride!!!


Hope you guys enjoyed the poem and the sentiment behind it. We will rebuild Haiti!


Na we pita/A plus tard





No comments:

Post a Comment